Running 2 Active Consoles on the same machine

Whilst it is not a recommended practice to run two Active Consoles on the same machine there is a valid reason for doing these and a valid method to set this up without causing corruption of workspaces and errors and exceptions.

Reason

You have configured your Geneos environment via SSO. In particular you have seperate SSO Agents set up for Production and NON Production Gateways. The Active Console can only support a single SSO Agent URL entry so users are forced to run two Consoles if they want to access Production and Non Production gateways.

How to set up

You need a seperate Active Console installation directory for each Active Console instance.

You will need to modify the ActiveConsole.gci file to specify the location of the logs and summary files.

For example you could set the following for your first Active Console

-wsp
C:/ActiveConsole2/A

And you could set the following for your second Active Console

-wsp
C:/ActiveConsole2/B

Also ensure the listen ports are set to different values for each Active Console.

@Kam , right now we are looking at how we properly support this in the consoles that are powered by web technology. Either Browser or Thick versions. We are thinking of implementing something like Slack Workspaces, where by you have different environments available to you, but they do not overlap and the data is not mergeable. Thoughts?

Slack workspaces ? As in the communication tool that we used to message ? We would have to check if client environments support enable the use of Slack technology. Sounds interesting and would be good to see an early beta of it once we have consulted clients.

No Added slack workspaces, adding something like them for Console users’s workspace. Just as I have a workspace here for ITRS and Vmware, a user would have a workspace for their Production UAT and Dev Environments. Or perhaps their Regional Deployments. So same application, but separate connections.

2 Likes

Same kind of thing is present in lots of different systems @Kam, just like @Steve_Lapp is saying.

Here’s a similar example of switching workspaces in Asana.

If you start to Google for ‘switch profiles on’ or ‘switch profiles in’ or ‘switch workspaces in’ then it will auto-complete all sorts of different applications, each with all sorts of differences in the way they work.

Here is one basic example of a difference I’ve seen:

Referring back to the original post, depending on what Active Directory is doing behind the SSO agents the long term goal could be either, but my assumption is that it is one ‘identity’ (authentication) that they’re logging on to the computer with but separate prod and non-prod ‘profile’ or ‘workspace’ (authorization) information so the long term goal would be the right hand side.

If everyone worked with one system then I assume the choices being considered would be much easier, but it will be interesting to hear the opinions of others.

1 Like